Animal Care Donations
The Griffith Animal Control Dept would like to ask that if you can help in any donations of the items listed below, it would be greatly appreciated. Items can be dropped off at the Griffith Police Dept - 115 N. Broad St anytime. Thank you for all of your donations!!!!!
- Purina Dog Chow
- Canned wet food (ground only)
- Leashes and Collars
- Purina Cat Chow
- Canned wet food (ground only) NO FISH
- Tidy Cat Clay litter
- Litter Pans
- Cat Traps for our "TNR" (Trap-neuter/spay-release) program for feral cats
Other Supplies Needed
- *HE* Laundry Detergent
Please click HERE to see the whole flier.
Griffith, IN (September 19, 2017) The Town of Griffith received confirmation from the Lake County Health Department that a batch of adult mosquitoes tested positive at Main St. and Colfax for West Nile Virus (WNV). The testing was conducted on August 31, 2017.
“The Town of Griffith urges that residents take precautions to avoid getting bit by mosquitoes, especially for the very young and elderly,” said Rick Ryfa, Griffith’s Town Council President. WNV can cause serious illness and all precautions should be taken.
The most effective way to protect yourself and your family from mosquito bites are as follows:
- Use insect repellent- Use an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)- registered insect repellent with one of the following active ingredients: DEET, Picaridin (known as KBR 3023), IR3535, oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) or para-menthane-diol (PMD), 2-undecanone. Higher percentages of active ingredients provide higher protection.
- If you have a baby or child: Dress your child in clothing that covers arms and legs, or cover crib, stroller, and baby carrier with mosquito netting. Do not use products containing OLE or PMD on children under 3 years of age.
- Treat clothing and gear: Treat items such as boots, pants, socks, and tents with permethrin or purchase permethrin- treated clothing gear.
- Mosquito proof your home: Use screens on windows and doors. Repair holes in screens to keep mosquitoes outside. Use air conditioning when available. Once a week, empty and scrub, turn over, or throw out items that hold water, such as tires, buckets, planters, toys, pools, birdbaths, flowerpots, or trash containers. Check inside and outside your home.
For more information on mosquito bite prevention, please visit:
1) The Griffith Emergency Medical Service Commission will have a meeting Wednesday, September 27, 2017 to discuss the EMS RFP Bids. The meeting will start at 6:00 p.m. at the Griffith Town Hall, 111 N Broad St., Griffith, IN 46319.
2) Representative Mara Candelaria-Reardon will hold a Town Hall Meeting in Griffith, Indiana on Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. The meeting will take place at the Griffith Town Hall, 111 N Broad St., Griffith, IN 46319.
John C. Volkmann
Town of Griffith